The World Health Organization classification includes endomyocardial fibrosis, eosinophilic endomyocardial disease (Loffler's cardiomyopathy), and idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. It is postulated that all of these entities represent the same disease process seen simply at different stages.
- Apical thrombus
- Apical obliteration, which may extend basally to the inflow portion of the ventricular wall
- Left ventricular function is usually well preserved
- The posterior atrioventricular valves and their subvalvular apparatus may become involved, which may lead to massive mitral and/or tricuspid regurgitation
- Dilated atria
- Atrioventricular valve regurgitation
- Abnormal diastolic filling pattern (PW Doppler)